Healthy Heroes is one of Ireland’s leading primary school nutrition programmes, created by teachers and behaviour change experts, with the support of Dr Mary McCreery, a leading consultant nutritionist and dietician. Using a peer to peer learning approach, it centres on the creation of lunchtime clubs for 6th class / P7 pupils, whereby they help their peers and younger children to improve their eating habits and increase their fitness levels through various lunchtime activities.
During lunch, the club meet to eat together and nutrition is addressed informally through teacher led discussion. The children then take over and run the activities, building on those suggested in the Healthy Heroes Lunch Club pack and developing their own club games.
The Healthy Heroes Lunch Club is brought to you by the Irish Bread Bakers Association and is proudly supported by Bord Bia.
Why should your school take part?
- The Healthy Heroes Lunch Club offers an opportunity for children to come together and enjoy healthy food and physical activity in a social setting
- The club fosters leadership, teamwork and communication skills among older children
- Running a lunch club can contribute towards your Active School Flag
- The Healthy Heroes Lunch Club fits in the following strands:
- Primary SPHE Curriculum for 5th & 6th class in the Republic of Ireland
- Themes for Personal Development and Mutual Understanding in Key Stage 2 in Northern Ireland
What input will teachers have?
The teachers will:
- Help to facilitate the selection of the committee
- Lead the informal discussion around nutrition while children are eating using discussion touch-points and information provided by Dr Mary Mc Creery, Consultant Clinical Nutritionist and Dietitian at The Blackrock Clinic
- Supervise the activities led by the pupils
How is this different from other programmes?
- The Healthy Heroes Lunch Club has a holistic approach, giving children an opportunity to take ownership of their own club and develop leadership skills whilst having fun and taking part in a range of activities to develop a healthy and active lifestyle.