Frequently asked questions
- A two year, Level 6 Higher Certificate in Science as a Laboratory Technician.
- A three year, Level 7 Ordinary Bachelor of Science as a Laboratory Analyst.
- Yes, as years 1 and 2 are the same in both programmes.
- On successful completion of the 2 year level 6 programme the apprentice can progress to the Level 7 award by completing one more year once supported by their employer and providing there is already an existing Level 7 class enrolled.
- A Level 6, Laboratory technician exit award is possible after successful completion of year 2 of the 3 year programme.
- Further advice can be sought from the SOLAS authorised officers in your local Education and Training Board as it is important the SOLAS register reflects the status of the apprentice and the programme they have completed.
No, there are no entry exams available. Potential apprentices must meet the minimum entry requirements.
The next intake for each location is in September 2022. Companies have begun recruitment and will continue throughout May/June/July. You must apply directly to one of the participating companies to be considered for a place on this program – please keep an eye on the laboratory apprenticeship Twitter and LinkedIn as well as job websites for available roles.
- The next apprentice intake is in September 2022. Companies to start recruitment from April/May onwards.