TII Budget Submission 2024
The following are the Budget 2024 recommendations of Telecommunications Industry Ireland, whose members account for most of the sector’s investment and employment.
- Reduce VAT rate for internet access services
- Make 100% of broadband costs allowable for remote working tax relief
- Introduce a Broadband Support Allowance
- Fund all measures necessary to deal with the current backlog at An Bord Pleanála and to make the planning system more efficient
- Fund a dedicated telecoms unit within each local authority
- Fund a reduction in mobile coverage ‘blackspots’
- Incentivise SME take-up of very high-capacity networks
- Allocate funding for the public alert system
- Invest in enhanced cybersecurity, cyber crime investigation and security of subsea cables
- Subvent increased network energy resilience
It was also recommended that Ireland’s telecommunications networks should be deemed a priority in the unlikely event that there is electricity rationing. This is because they are a critical piece of national infrastructure, playing a vital role in crisis situations and underpin the wider economy.