Geographical Indication (GI) is a name which identifies a product as:
- originating in a specific place, region or country
- whose given quality, reputation or other characteristic is essentially attributable to its defined area of origin, and
- at least one of the production steps of which take place in the defined geographical area.
Ireland has three GI spirits categories (recognised under Regulation (EU) No. 110/2008) of which Irish Poitín /Poteen is one.
The technical rules which a producer of Irish Poitín /Poteen must follow to produce this GI compliant product are as follows:
- Irish Poitín /Poteen Technical File
- List of GI verified producers of Poitín /Poteen (2019)
- Revised rules for the Pre-Approval of GI Spirit Drink Labels
The verification process for Irish Poitín /Poteen is undertaken by Revenue. More information can be found here and:
- Irish Poteen Geographical Indication application
- Irish Poteen Geographical Indication Revenue Verification Checks
- Revised Arrangements for the Pre-Approval of GI Spirit Drink Labels
By virtue of it’s being an all-island GI the Government of the United Kingdom also recognises Irish Poitín /Poteen as an EU GI and as a UK GI. Further information can be found here.