The Parent’s Leave and Benefit Bill 2019 was signed into law on 24 October 2019
• The Act provides for 2 weeks leave and social welfare benefit for each parent in first year of child’s life
• The measure is coming into place for children born or adopted from 1 November 2019
• The benefit will be paid at the same rate as Maternity and Paternity benefits
• Support is available to employees and the self-employed
• Paid parent’s leave must be taken after birth or placement for adoption and must be taken within 52 weeks of birth or placement.
• An employee’s notice to their employer must be given not later than 6 weeks before the intended commencement of the parent’s leave and must indicate the expected date of commencement and duration of the parent’s leave.
Not a member? Join Ibec
Members enjoy access to our online Human Resource Centre offering sample documents, guidance, research, FAQs and articles. Members also receive premium HR services and supports, networking events and preferential rates for conferences and Ibec Management Training accredited programmes and short courses.
Request a quote