This programme is funded by Engineering Skillnet
Engineering Skillnet is co-funded by Skillnet Ireland and network companies. Skillnet Ireland is funded from the National Training Fund through the Department of Further and Higher Education, Research, Innovation and Science
This advanced Environmental Management System (EMS) auditing course will equip learners with:
- A detailed understanding of how to audit and assess the effectiveness of any EMS.
- A broad understanding of the range and diversity of environmental aspects, issues and environmental legislation and regulations pertinent to companies wishing to gain certification to ISO 14001 and EMAS.
- A practical understanding of how to implement an EMS and troubleshoot EMS issues.
- Knowledge of important related environmental tools and standards.
- Global issues
- Auditing of EMS
- Recap and update of ISO 14001 and EMAS
- Evaluating significance of aspects including actual and potential impacts arising from normal and abnormal conditions
- Sources and types of air pollution
- Environmental risk assessment techniques
- Environmental legislation (European/Irish)
- ISO 14031 and environmental performance indicators
- Developing objectives and targets
- Emergency preparedness and response
- The EMS auditing process & “best practice” approach to auditing
- The role of certifiers, auditors and verifiers
- Internal audit and review
- Life cycle assessment
- Comprehensive audit case-study and exercises
- Preparation for audit
- Audit role-play
- Review and discussion of audit findings
- Requirements of certification bodies
- Closing Meetings
- Integrated management systems
- Course Review
The course meets the training requirements for registration as an Associate Environmental Auditor with IEMA the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment.