Ibec's vision is for a globally competitive digital Ireland that delivers growth, jobs and enhanced public services to Irish citizens. To realise this ambition, Ibec has published a policy manifesto for making Ireland a global digital leader.
Digital ambition matters
Brexit, uncertainty around differing international policy perspectives on enabling the new knowledge economy and potential inaction are all risks to safeguarding our economic model and well-being. Digitalisation is a positive feature of our economic model, but it must be accelerated to insulate us against risks to our success. Accelerated digitalisation at national level and in EU Single Market could enhance our productivity and add a further €27 Billion and 140,000 net jobs to our economy. We can accelerate our digital ambition through strategic investment in our infrastructure and people. Bricks and broadband are necessary to enable connectivity and create spaces where people and ideas can mix. Successful roll-out of the National Broadband Plan is essential to bring high speed broadband to the homes and businesses in the State that are not commercially viable for the private sector to service directly. Digitalisation is shaping the future of work. Investing in knowledge and skills will enable businesses and individuals to create ideas and value in the new economy. More progress is needed in increasing the digital skills in our general population and ensuring the supply of ICT professionals meets demand.
Key recommendations of the Ibec Manifesto include:
- Enhance co-ordination between government departments and business in intensifying Ireland’s digital development and deliver a national action plan to support the digitalisation of our enterprise sectors.
- Intensify Ireland’s political engagement with international partners – complete a EU digital single market that enables connectivity, innovation, jobs and well-being.
- Identify and address skill gaps that help government, businesses and individuals succeed in the new digitalised economy.
- Encourage further conditions that enable digital innovation and entrepreneurship – deliver the National Broadband Plan and promote progressive R&D and tax regimes.
To read the full Ibec policy manifesto, please click on the attached file below.
- Ibec_Accelerate digital ambition2018.pdf - 1,859 Kbytes