- Be prepared to repeat what you say, orally or in writing.
- Be prepared to explain something more than once if necessary, remembering to keep to the point using straight forward language.
- Added time may be required to complete tasks.
- Offer assistance in completing forms or understanding written instructions and provide extra time for decision-making. Wait for the individual to accept the offer of assistance; do not over-assist or be patronising.
- Be patient, flexible and supportive. Take time to understand the individual and make sure the individual understands you.
- Use precise language in simple sentences.
- Give exact instructions.
- Be aware that too many directions at one time may be confusing to the individual.
Wednesday, 2 July 2008