With the Troika gone, Ireland has important decisions to make on how to build on the economic progress already made, tackle unemployment and drive growth across the economy. We need to get these right.
At Ibec we plan to lead the debate. We have identified five pressing issues on the national agenda that will have a major impact on Ireland’s success into the future:
1. We need to reduce the tax burden: Ireland is out of line internationally and our income tax rates, in particular, are too high. Irish consumers deserve a break.
2. We need better government: Poorly designed policy, legislation and regulation add to the cost of doing business and are an obstacle to growth and job creation.
3. We need to invest in the future: To meet our future economic needs, we need to spend much more on infrastructure projects and skills and education.
4. We need to extend Ireland’s global reach: International debates on tax and EU reform could have major implications for Ireland. We need to influence and shape the agenda.
5. We need to promote entrepreneurship: Business need to have access to effective enterprise supports, credit and export markets. Risk needs to be rewarded.
We hope the campaign priorities are relevant, challenging and resonant with your own ambitions for your business and for Ireland. Ibec will be rolling out more elements of the campaign over the coming weeks and months, and we'll keep you updated on our blog.
Download the campaign brochure. You can also join the conversation on twitter, #irelandworks @ibec_irl or on the Ibec Linkedin group.