- energy security and diversity;
- development of key energy infrastructure to meet the needs of our economy and binding policy targets;
- achievement of an efficient and competitive energy market for the benefit of all stakeholders;
- maximise the potential of renewable energy sources and combined heat and power;
- continued commitment to environmental protection;
- encouragement of energy efficiency in all sectors of the economy;
- commitment to investment in research and development.
18/01/2016 - European energy and climate policies have the potential to deliver commercial opportunities in sustainable energy technologies. This is to be welcomed, but there is a need to mitigate any adverse impacts on energy market prices.
Electricity market (all island)
18/01/2016 - The Single Electricity Market (SEM) must undergo a comprehensive review to ensure its compatibility with the European Target Model for cross-border energy trading. This new market, I-SEM, is due to go live in 2017.
10/01/2016 - The Energy Efficiency Directive sets out the policy roadmap up to 2020 – it was adopted in 2012 and Member States had a deadline to transpose into national legislation by 2014.
EU energy and climate framework
18/01/2016 - Member States of the EU have committed to transforming Europe into a highly energy-efficient, low carbon economy. While targets are set up to the 2020; the European Council's 2030 climate and energy framework sets out ambition to 2030.
Indigenous energy resources
26/01/2016 - Ireland is more dependent on oil and gas than most European countries - oil and natural gas are both key elements of Ireland’s energy mix. The high dependence of imports makes further exploration an attractive Ireland proposition.
National climate policies
21/01/2016 - The Climate Action and Low Carbon Development Bill was passed by Dail Eireann in October 2015 and outlines Ireland's climate policy ambiitons.
Networks and interconnection
18/01/2016 - Significant investment will be required in domestic and cross-border electricity networks.