Key 2030 framework recommendations:
- Greenhouse gas emissions: a greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions reduction of 40% below the 1990 level.
- Renewable energy target: an EU-wide binding target for renewable energy of at least 27%. Member States will not be obliged to adopt binding renewable targets.
- Energy efficiency: energy efficiency ambitions will be addressed following the completion of a review of the Energy Efficiency Directive.
- Reform of the EU ETS: an accompanying legislative proposal introduces market stability reserve from the fourth trading phase of the EU ETS in 2021. The reserve would address the surplus of emission allowances by automatically adjusting supply. It would operate according to pre-defined rules and its operation would leave no discretion to the Commission or Member States.
- New governance system: managed by the European Commission for the coordination of national energy policies as well a new set of indicators to safeguard a competitive and secure energy system.
The European Council in March will discuss the 2030 framework in March 2014.
The Communication was part of an energy and climate package that included:
- A Report on energy prices and costs: it assesses energy prices differentials with the EU's main trading partners, and reports increases in energy prices related mainly to rising taxes and levies, as well as higher network costs.
- A Communication for a European Industrial Renaissance: The Commission reaffirms its commitment to the Europe 2020 strategy, but acknowledges the transition to a low carbon economy has affected the competitiveness of European industry.
- A Recommendation with common principles for the exploration and production of shale gas in Europe.
The documents are attached along with a series of supporting documents.
- 20140121 Communication European Industrial Rennaissance.pdf - 487 Kbytes
- 20140121 Communication on Energy Prices and Costs in Europe.pdf - 353 Kbytes
- 20140121 Communication Shale Gas.pdf - 247 Kbytes
- 20140121 Impact Assessment 2030 climate and energy summary.pdf - 113 Kbytes
- 20140121 Impact Assessment 2030 climate and energy.pdf - 1,939 Kbytes
- 20140121 Q&As 2030 climate and energy framework.pdf - 128 Kbytes
- 20140121 Q&As Energy Price Report.pdf - 77 Kbytes
- 20140121 Q&As EU ETS reform.pdf - 120 Kbytes
- 20140121 Recommendation Shale Gas.pdf - 193 Kbytes
- 20140121 Report on Energy Prices and Costs in Europe.pdf - 4,212 Kbytes
- 20140121 Communication on the 2030 climate and energy package.pdf - 173 Kbytes
Wednesday, 22 January 2014